Tuesday, March 18, 2014

ASPLOS 2014 Experiences

This was my first time attending ASPLOS, and based on my experience, I'm very much looking forward to attending future versions. I loved the variety of sessions and papers. It gave a great opportunity to learn about disciplines outside of my own and interact with people from those areas. As an area far outside my own, I really enjoyed the Approximate Computing session with Paraprox and Uncertain<T> (whose name is awesome).

The excursion was an excellent idea and very well executed. Curling was awesome, as was being able to skate on Olympic ice - I'm quite certain I bested Apolo Ohno's lap time. The food served throughout the conference was delicious, and I appreciated the variety that was offered.

Outside of the conference, I enjoyed walking around Salt Lake City and seeing what it has to offer. The city made a great impression on me, and I still can't believe how clean it is (I realize that's a weird thing to point out about a city, but come on! How can so many light coloured buildings and walkways be kept so clean?). The weather was also an invigorating change of pace from the never-ending winter I arrived from.

No comments:

Post a Comment