Sunday, March 16, 2014

ASPLOS 14 experience


Attending ASPLOS'14 was a delightful experience, and it is hard for me to say so, as a person who usually sees the half empty glass. However, since the papers were interesting, the organisation was faultless, and the special sessions ("wild and crazy ideas" and "debate") were exhilarating and intriguing, I must applaud.

Most of all, ASPLOS was a great opportunity to meet and talk to thought-provoking researchers and get productive feedback. Learning about their point-of-view and interests was of a great use. I was delighted to have a conversation with the acclaimed Carl Waldspurger, who shared some of his vast knowledge with me.

As for the conference topics, ASPLOS was also a great opportunity to get acclaimed with research ideas in various fields. I guess I would not have read many of the papers if I had not attended the conference. Once I attended, I find the relevance of most of the research work to my research. Although most of the papers are in different field than mine, I found in almost each work useful ideas, methods or benchmarks.

Personally, I am sure I could have enjoyed ASPLOS better. Printing the poster at the last moment, and making changes to the presentation instead of going to the excursion (curling) were not the greatest calls I have ever made.

Of course, this blog post would not be complete without a great "thank you" note for the conference PC and ACM for assisting me financially in attending the conference. So, thank you, and I appreciate that you made it possible for me to attend the conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment